Monday, May 19, 2014

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Lou Gehrig's 10K Race Recap

It's been a month since my last post. Oops. A lot has happened in the last month. Mainly, I graduated from my master's program! I still can't believe I am done with school and that I am that much closer to entering the workforce as a therapist. I needed some time to kind of dumb down before shifting my focus to Chicago and everything that needs to get done before we move up in July. The one thing I have been consistent with has been my running, especially since I found out I will be running the Chicago Marathon in October! I came up with a training plan that has been working well for me so far. My first official longish run was the Lou Gehrig's 10K run, which happened to be the morning of my graduation ceremony.

This was the first time I have done this particular race, but I was very nervous about it because I have had several friends who have done it in the past and have found it to be a tough race because of the weather (hot, hot, hot). This race was also bittersweet for me because it was my friend's first 10K as part of her training plan for Rock n Roll Chicago and the last race I would be doing with my Miami Galloway family. My goal for this race was to simply to finish and, with the heat, distance, and running partners, I was anticipating a 1:15 finish. We ended up finishing around 1:10.

What I liked:

  • The company. I am massively in love with my running friends.
  • The course was beautiful and went through Coconut Grove. 
  • The weather was great. 
  • My custom graduation cap. 
  • Nice race shirt. 
  • Plenty of water on the course. 
  • Packet pickup before was smooth. 
  • Running before graduation!


What I didn't like:

  • The race didn't start on time. 
  • Packet pickup morning-of was really slow. 
  • No medals. Sorry, I love my medals. 
  • We are all a little confused after the event because we thought we had read somewhere there would be post-race beer. Instead, there was plenty of chocolate milk. 

Next race recap will be May 17th's Tour of the Gables 5K. I am contemplating a half marathon trail run. Any advice or tips?

Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @thecookierunner
Stephanie



No comments: