Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Homemade Baby Rice Cereal

IMG_0061
When I first introduced Elina to solid food I started with oatmeal cereal. From the beginning Elina has not been a fan of pureed or liquid foods, so cereal was something she absolutely did not want. I tried a different approach by making her rice cereal and not thinning it out so it would be chunky and chewable. The first time I gave it to her she ate it. The second time she only ate half a serving and the third time she flat out refused. Then she went into one of her grunting fits and did not stop until I gave her bits and pieces of the breakfast I was eating. I didn't push the cereal on her anymore and Elina has been eating whatever I have ever since. While this recipe didn't work out for us, it's a recipe to keep on hand because it is so easy and it uses up something you probably already have in your pantry anyway.

Homemade Baby Rice Cereal
Source: Cooking for Baby by Lisa Barnes
Makes 1 cup

1/4 brown rice
1 cup water

Put rice in a blender and pulverize into a powder, 3-5 minutes on medium to high speed.

Bring 1 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown rice powder and reduce heat to low. Cook, whisking constantly, until water is absorbed, 4-5 minutes

Add water, breast milk, or formula to thin cereal to a consistency your baby can handle.

To store, refrigerate cooled cereal in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or fill ice-cube trays to freeze for up to 3 months.

Stephanie

No comments: