Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Vanilla Cake

IMG_0013
I've been on a cake kick lately and after making a delicious chocolate cake, I decided to make a vanilla cake. The cake is actually supposed to have almond extract in it but because Alex doesn't like almond extract, I used vanilla extract. The cake was light and buttery and because I had reached my fill of frosting, I left this cake unfrosted. No frosting made it even more perfect for eating with a glass of milk.

Vanilla Cake
Source: very slightly adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups all-purpose four
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium saucepan bring butter and water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl add flour and sugar and mix. Then add in eggs, sour cream, extract, baking soda and salt. Slowly pour in the boiling butter/water mixture. Stir with a spatula until well combined and smooth.  No need to use an electric mixer. Batter will be very thin.

Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Your cake will be flat and not very tall (it's a sheet cake). Cool for about 10 minutes.
Stephanie

No comments: