Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

IMG_8517
It's only Wednesday and yet it seems like this week has been going on forever. There was a health scare in my family that had everyone on pins and needles and it left me thinking about how quickly your life can change in 24 hours or with a single glance at an MRI. Thankfully, what could have been a devastating diagnosis, turned out to be a lot less scary (the remedy was still frightening, though) and everyone is in better spirits.

These Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect cookie for celebrating simply surviving the day. I was really distracted when I made these cookies so I may or may not have left out a 1/4 cup of flour and I dropped about a 1/3 of them when I was trying to move them from one counter to another. My cookies turned out flat, crispy, chewy, and full of Toffee flavor. I really do love chocolate chip cookies in all its incarnations.

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: A Pastry Affair
Yields about 2 dozen cookies

8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sliced or chopped almonds
3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used miniature chocolate chips)
3/4 cup toffee pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and continue mixing until well blended. Stir in the vanilla extract. Fold in the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until mixed. Stir in the almonds, chocolate chips, and toffee pieces.

Drop by the tablespoon onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. The longer you bake them, the crunchier they will get. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack. These cookies have a tendency to stick to the baking sheet if not removed promptly.
Stephanie

No comments: