Monday, May 7, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Oatmeal Week: Lacation Cookies

Lactation Cookies
I have been eating a lot of things with oats as an ingredient lately because it's good for breastfeeding moms and it helps maintain/increase supply. After looking at all the pictures I've taken of food over the last week, I realized that I've made enough things with oats for a week full of recipes. Some recipes were hits and some weren't and some were "too healthy" for Alex to like even though everyone else did. Here is this week's first recipe: Lactation Cookies.

I recently read a post about lactation cookies and a company that makes them. I was curious about the cookies and even tempted to buy them to see if they worked. But at $25 for 10 cookies (price includes shipping) I thought it would be easier and more enjoyable for me to make the cookies myself. I came across a few recipes and decided on this one because it had higher amounts of Brewer's Yeast and ground flaxseed, which are two of the ingredients that are supposed to help increase your supply. I went to Whole Foods to buy the missing ingredients and $27 later I had 55 cookies. I found the cookies to be good but healthy tasting. I am actually the only one in the house that likes them; Cati just wanted to eat the chocolate chips and Alex thought they tasted like dog biscuits. I guess that's a good thing because these cookies were meant for me to eat. And they work too! I saw an increase in my milk supply the very same day I started eating them. Another reason I liked these is because they satisfied my sweet tooth whenever I got one and I didn't feel guilty about eating another cookie.
 Lactation Cookies

Lactation Cookies
Source: The Humbled Homemaker
Yields 55 cookies

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup almond butter or peanut butter (I used peanut butter)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup water
1 cup whole ground flax seed
3 Tbsp brewer's yeast (found here, here, here or your local healthfood store)
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cup rolled oats
2 c. (12oz) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat almond (or peanut) butter, butter, sugars, vanilla, brewer's yeast, flax and water until creamy. Mix in eggs on at a time. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Mix in chocolate chips and oats slowly.

Using a cookie scoop, place balls of dough onto cookie sheets two inches apart. Press each ball down lightly with a fork.

Bake for 12-15 minutes in preheated oven, or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Stephanie

No comments: