Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Oatmeal Week: Chocolate Walnut Oatmeal Cookies

IMG_4783
I have owned the Tartine cookbook for a very long time and in the whole time I've had it, I have never made any of the recipes. My go-to cookbook is Dorie's so, oftentimes, my other books get overlooked. I wanted to change this because what's the point of having a book full of so many delicious sounding and looking recipes if you aren't going to make them? I started off with something simple and something I knew I'd like: Chocolate Walnut Oatmeal Cookies. I'm a huge fan of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies so I knew I would like these cookies. The cookies are more chocolate chip than anything else, but the addition of oatmeal and walnut give them a different texture and more of a chew.

In addition to these Chocolate Walnut Oatmeal Cookies, I have also made Lactation Cookies, Peanut Butter & Banana Oatmeal Smoothie, Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes, No Bake Chocolate Oat Bars, and Brown Butter Oatmeal Chunk Cookies.
Chocolate Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
 Chocolate Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
Source: Tartine
Yields about 2 dozen cookies

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used regular chocolate chips)
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tsp molasses
1 egg
1 Tbsp of milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped roughly

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Coarsely chop the chocolate into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces. Chill in the freezer until using.

 In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and oats. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter until it is creamy. Add the sugar, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, then beat in the egg. Beat in the milk, salt and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate and walnuts.

Using  a cookie scoop, scoop dough and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are a nice golden brown.

Enjoy!
Stephanie

No comments: