Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Red Velvet Cookies

red velvet cookies
My friend makes the most amazing red velvet cookies. They are so good that I find myself constantly craving them. I had a craving recently and tried to find a recipe that would live up to the standard set by my friend. I came across this recipe and, while it was really, really good, it wasn't the same. The consistency of her cookies are different. But don't take that as me saying you shouldn't make these because you absolutely must. These cookies are fudgy and chewy and didn't even last 24 hours in our house.

Red Velvet Cookies
Source: Recipe Girl
Yields 24 cookies

Cookies:
1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding mix (dry)
4 to 5 large egg whites (start with 4... see *tips below)
1/2 cup sour cream
Cream cheese frosting, see below

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix 4 egg whites and sour cream, then use a wooden spoon to mix it into the dry mixture. The mixture will be very thick. Add an additional egg white if it's impossible to stir. A thick batter is what you're looking for though.

Use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to drop a tablespoon of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 13 minutes, until the cookies are set. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese with 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar. Spread the frosting on the cookies.
Stephanie

No comments: