Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Cookies 'n Cream Ice Cream

Oreo Ice Cream
Today is my first class. I'm feeling a mixture of excitement, nervousness, and dread. Dread mostly because Cati doesn't want to nap today and I'm afraid that's going to sap all my energy and make me a blob of a person in the classroom. Not what I want for a first impression!

To celebrate going back to school and to give me a little sugar pick-me-up before I leave, I present you with this lovely recipe for Cookies n Cream Ice Cream. I love making ice cream from scratch, but my complaint is always the same: it's too sweet. On it's own, the vanilla ice cream was too sweet for me, but, surprisingly enough, once the Oreos where mixed in the ice cream tasted less sweet. I also always feel like I'm cheating on my favorite store-bought ice cream when I make ice cream at home. Anyone else feel that way?

The next time I make this ice cream I will be reducing the sugar. I also won't cut the Oreos into as small of chunks as I did because the 3 minutes in the maker were enough to literally crush the cookies to little bits. 


Cookies 'n Cream Ice Cream
Source: Sweet Tooth who adapted from Baked Bree

1-1/2 cups whole milk
1-1/8 cups sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla
15 Oreos, crushed

Make sure your ice cream maker is in the freezer for at least 24 hours before starting this recipe.

Stir the milk and sugar together in a medium-sized bowl until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Mix in the cream and vanilla. Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and let it run for the manufacturer's recommended time. Add the oreos in about 3 minutes before the time is up.

Put the ice cream in the freezer to firm up completely.
Stephanie

1 comment:

Desi said...

I really want to make homemade ice cream... I just need an ice cream maker! I've seen recipes for making ice cream without an ice cream maker, but I wanna wait until I get that machine! I love big chunks of oreos in my cookies and cream ice cream... mmmm :)