Saturday, June 4, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

52 {Books} in 52: The Weight of Silence

Note: This is the last of the book posts for today. For the rest of my thoughts on the five other book posts from today go here. Also, I was looking over my book list and I realized that I read 51 books last year! Who knew? So I hopefully I can do the 52 books this year.

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf is another book I read based on recommendation. This book is such a wonderful read and the story simmers from start to finish. I mean simmer in that from the beginning you are pulled into a drama and mystery and the suspense is always there, simmering at a constant rate.

The book is about the disappearance of two little girls, selective mute Calli and her best friend Petra, and the family ties that either unravel or strengthen because of their disappearances. Did they disappear together? Will they be found? I don't want to give too much away but the way the book ended took me by surprise. Truth be told, I was so wrapped in the book that I would skip ahead and skim the text to find out what happened. It's that kind of book: the one that lures you in with not only the mystery of the disappearances but also the mysteries of family secrets and the desire to find out the answers to the mysteries. There are no easy answers in this book and how you define a happy ending comes into question. This book is also a lesson in acceptance of yourself and uncovering your strengths.

This book is really thought-provoking and yet horrifying now that I am a mother. Heather Gudenkauf writes with such verve and intensity that putting the book down is hard to do. I wish I had someone else read the book with me because the questions at the end are great for discussion.
 the weight of silence

Here's what I've read for my 52 {Books} in 52 challenge:

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
4. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
5. Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace by Ayelet Waldman
6. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
7. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
8.  Misery Loves Cabernet by Kim Gruenenfelder
9.  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
10. Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
11. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
12. Best Day of Someone Else's Life by Kerry Reichs
13. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
14. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson
15. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
16. The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf
Stephanie

1 comment: