Thursday, April 7, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Mexican Lasagna

Mexican Lasagna
Don't you hate when you make something from scratch and you forget to write down exactly what you did and used? And then you feel like an even bigger fool because the recipe was so good that you took pictures of it and planned on sharing it on your blog? This is exactly what happened to me with this recipe for Mexican Lasagna. I wanted to make this but I didn't like a lot of the recipes I saw online; they either contained ingredients I didn't care for or want to buy or they took long to prepare. My goal in life at this very moment is to create delicious home-cooked meals that are quick and easy to prepare. I would love to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing an elaborate meal but that just isn't my reality anymore.
Mexican Lasagna
I made this lasagna when my aunt came over. As I was assembling it I thought there was no way this would be enough for four people. I think that's why I love lasagna of every variety so much: it's so misleading. You think you are making a little bit and it turns out you have made more than enough. This is what I remember doing, but as always, use it as a guide and create a dish that is truly your own.
Mexican Lasagna

Mexican Lasagna
Created by me :)
Serves 6-8

1/2 roasted chicken, shredded
3/4 to 1 cup salsa, depending on how much salsa you like
1/2 to 3/4 cup salsa verde
6 flour tortillas
8 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend (you can use more if you like extra cheesy)
1 can (16 oz) refried beans
Sour cream, optional
Guacamole, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray.

In a skillet, heat up the chicken and salsa. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes or so. In a small saucepan, heat the refried beans over low heat (this will make the beans easier to spread).

Spread some of the salsa verde over the bottom of the pan. Top with two tortillas, chicken mixture, salsa verde, refried beans, and cheese. Repeat one more layering of tortilla, chicken mixture, salsa verde and refried beans. Then, top with tortilla and cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is heated through. Remove from over and let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve with sour cream and guacamole.

Note: if you want a spicy lasagna, use spicier salsas.
Stephanie

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Mmm, that looks really good, Stephanie!