Friday, March 11, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Buttermilk Pancakes

Buttermilk Pancakes
I have been on the biggest pancake kick this week. I don't know what it is but I wake up wanting a nice, big hearty breakfast every day. I have a go-to recipe but I wanted to use up the buttermilk we had before it went bad. I found this recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes and decided to give it a try. These pancakes were incredibly delicious and perfectly fit my desire for a hearty breakfast. These pancakes are big and fluffy and seriously rival the pancakes you'd get at a restaurant.

Buttermilk Pancakes
Source: Distractedhomemaker on Tastykitchen.com
Yields: Enough for two starving adults and one hungry baby

1 cup Flour
4 teaspoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Baking Soda
¼ teaspoons Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
⅛ cups Milk
1 whole Large Egg
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, egg, melted butter and lemon juice. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.

Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or large fork to blend. Stir until it’s just blended together. Do not over stir! If you over stir the pancakes will be tough and flat; you want little dry lumps left in the batter.

Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle. Brown on both sides and serve hot with syrup.
Stephanie

2 comments:

Alexandria said...

You should try what I did this past weekend. I had some extra banana baby food that I made, so I thawed it out and added it to my pancake mix. DELICIOUS. Best pancakes I've ever had. (I guess a really ripe banana would have done too).

Kathleen said...

Oh man these pancakes look yummy!