Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Pass the Peas Please!

1st Peas
Cati was introduced to peas today. I love seeing her reaction, especially because she is such an expressive baby. The first few spoonfuls were really encouraging and she swallowed almost everything on her spoon. Then it's as if something clicked in her head that said, "Eww! Veggies! Peas!" She spat out the peas and made a face that told me she was questioning my judgment in what's considered "good" food. She ate the entire serving (1 Tablespoon) but it took some coaxing on my part.
Peas Purée Recipe
Makes 1/2 cup purée

1 cup frozen or fresh peas
1/2 cup water
Breast milk, formula, or cooking water

In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the peas and cook 5-6 minutes or until peas float to the top. Drain peas (reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water if you are going to use water to thin out the purée), place in food processor, and purée. Add fluid until peas reach the best consistency for eating.

Storage: Good for 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container or up to 3 months in the freezer.

Note: since this was Cati's 1st peas meal, I made it pretty liquidy. I added about 2. 5 oz of breast milk to get the purée to a consistency I felt she'd be able to eat.

The players:
Baby Food: Peas
This is why you need to add liquid to the peas:
the consistency is too thick and dry for the baby.
Baby Food: Peas
Adding the fluid makes the peas smoother.
Baby Food: Peas
Peas past the test!
1st Peas
Stephanie

No comments: