Sunday, January 31, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Classic Waffles

I am still having fun with my, umm I mean Alex's, waffle maker. I finally got the hang of it and now I understand how it works. I'm still not sold on whether the waffle maker needs the flip function (in fact, I gave up on that) but I am enjoying trying out new waffle recipes. It's great to have a new type of breakfast item to add to my cooking rotation. Alex has been one happy man with the addition of this new toy to our kitchen.

After making the gingerbread waffles I decided to try out a more classic recipe. The recipe I used was simple and the flavoring of the waffles was perfect for experimenting with toppings and sauces. Now I am even more excited about testing out recipes for syrups, butters, and toppings.

One thing this recipe taught me is that I prefer waffles that have a thicker batter. Thinner batters result in more spillage and waffles that aren't as thick and golden.

Classic Buttermilk Waffles
Source: Pancakes & Waffles by Lou Seibert Pappas
Yields 3 waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, or canola oil

Preheat waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. In another bowl, beat or whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, and butter. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the egg whites.

Spoon or pour about 1 cup of batter onto the waffle iron. Close the lid and bake until the waffle is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove with a fork to a warm plate. Serve at once or keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200 degrees F oven. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve with any flavored butter, sauce, or syrup.

2 comments:

Fallon said...

I agree thicker battered waffles are much better! They seem to be more crispy as well. Love waffles!

Megan said...

I haven't made waffles in awhile - and this looks like a good recipe to start with.