Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

TWD: Apple Crisp

A huge apology to Em of The Repressed Pastry Chef. I meant to have this post up yesterday but the truth is that I didn't make the apple crisp until today. Things are getting busier around here with the due date nearing. It also doesn't help that I think my house is having an identity crisis because it keeps breaking down. Our roof is teetering very close to that line that separates the don't-replace with the replace. Our a/c has been having issues for close to 2.5 months and that includes having zero a/c for the past 3 weeks. Being pregnant, not having a/c, and living in Miami is a recipe for disaster. But at least we have a ceiling fan! Our latest issue is a bathroom leak that is pushing a planned bathroom remodel ahead of schedule. So my house is having an identity crisis. Or maybe it's a midlife crisis. My house was built in the 1940s so maybe it's telling us it wants to be young again? I was hoping it would let us have a little bit of a honeymoon period before it started nagging us. My advice is to take your home inspection as a suggestion of the condition of the house and not a statement of facts. My other piece of advice is to make sure to have a separate house repair savings account to cushion you for the inevitable breakdown of things.

So on a day where I alternate between being happy to be a homeowner and being overwhelmed by being a homeowner, apple crisp is the perfect dessert to melt the worries, even if only for a few fleeting minutes. I left out the cranberries and the shredded coconut. I kept things simple because right now I need simple. The result was a crisp that was fulfilling, satisfying, and nurturing. I just love apples and the warmth they bring once baked.
Thanks to Em for a great selection! The recipe is here and while you're looking at it make sure to check out the rest of her blog because it's pretty great. Also, don't forget to head over to the TWD site to see what everyone else baked this week.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Sounds like it's a trying time right now. Hang in there! Simple is good and your crisp looks simply delicious.

Susan said...

I hope things start to look up for you. Owning a house is a double-edged sword sometimes. Your crisp looks delicious, even without the cranberries. :)

Hindy said...

Could you be any busier? Still it's good to take time for dessert. Your crisp looks lovely!

Jacque said...

Yep, warm apple-anything is the perfect comfort food. Your crisps look just perfect!

Good luck with the house. Sorry you have so many difficulties. Been there, done that...

Katrina said...

Aren't homes fun. Sigh. ;)
It's worth it, although I may be saying different as we get the house ready to sell by March!

Great, simple, yummy crisp!