Monday, October 26, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Chicken with a Red Wine Sauce


I always seem to get stuck with chicken. Seventy-five percent of the time I end up baking chicken because I have no clue what else to do with it. I do experiment with chicken recipes but sometimes the recipes suck so much that I go back to my baking ways. I found this recipe and it's actually a keeper. Alex said it was one of the best chicken dishes I've ever made. Those are strong words. The sauce is really what makes the dish good. I personally found the chicken to be a little dried out and lacking salt, but to Alex it was a perfect, unexpected dish.

Chicken with a Red Wine Sauce
Source: All Recipes (here)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon paprika
1 cup brown sugar (I used 2/3 cups instead)
1 cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 Tbsp flour

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook garlic in oil until tender. Place chicken in the skillet, and cook about 10 minutes on each side, until no longer pink and juices run clear. (I browned the chicken. Since you are simmering the chicken for another 20 minutes there's no point in cooking it all the way at this point. It will continue to cook as it simmers.)

Drain oil from skillet. Sprinkle chicken with paprika and 1 cup brown sugar. Pour red wine around chicken. Cover, and simmer about 15 to 20 minutes; lightly baste chicken with wine sauce while cooking. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the flour to the wine sauce and whisk until the sauce thickens. Serve on the chicken or on the side.

No comments: