Monday, February 23, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Super Chewy Nutella Caramel Brownies

What's the difference between chewy and fudgy? I hope you know because I don't. I asked Alex if he had any baking requests and he said "fudgy brownies." Great! I love brownies and I had been wanting to try Honey & Jam's Nutella Brownies. I halved the recipe and followed the instructions but had the brilliant idea of adding caramel candies. I figured the caramels would be a nice surprise. Before I added the caramels I asked Alex what type of brownies he wanted and again he said "fudgy brownies." I went ahead and added the caramel candies and baked. Brownies came out of the oven, I tasted one and, to my confused surprised, the brownies were chewy and not fudgy. Sure, it had fudgy spots but the caramel made the brownies very, very, very chewy. The nutella made these brownies light and I loved how the soft hazelnut flavor was so prominent. If you want regular, fudgy brownies I recommend not adding the caramel candies. But, if you want to give your mouth a workout, I recommend adding the caramels.You won't go wrong either way!

Super Chewy Nutella Caramel Brownies
Source: Honey & Jam (here)

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 plus 2 Tbsp cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup nutella
about 15 caramel candies, cut into small chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, F. Spray an 8x8 or 12 cavity cupcake pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Over low heat melt the butter, then stir in the sugar and vanilla extract until well combined.

Add the eggs to the sugar mixture, one at a time. With a wooden spoon mix in each egg until well combined.

Add the cocoa mixture to the sugar-egg mixture and whisk until fully combined.

Add the nutella and combine.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool for 15 min if you want to eat it warm, or allow to cool to room temperature.

Enjoy!

Brownie Cup
FudgyChewy

2 comments:

pinkstripes said...

Man. Your brownies sound amazing. You had me at Nutella, but then you added caramel. Wow.

Elyse said...

The brownies sound stellar. They look both fudgy and chewy--if you can have both, and well, they really look like something I'd love to devour! Can't wait to try these!