Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Guess Who's Coming??


Santa! One of my favorite Christmas songs is "Here Comes Santa Claus." Back in the day my mom, sister, and I would sit by the Christmas tree and get lost in the lights because not only where they colorful but they also played the tune of "Here Comes Santa Clause." We were naughty kids though. Every time my mom would leave us alone with the tree we would pick up the gifts, shake them around, and then very slowly remove the tape and try to take a peak inside to figure out what the gift was. Over the years, my mom learned about our little antics and the wrapping got more complicated and she would delay putting the gifts out until the very last moment. I remember one Christmas, about 15 years ago, we were at home sitting by the tree and there was a knock on the door. My mom said we could open the door so, of course, we rushed to the door and when we opened it, Santa Claus was there! We were so excited to see Santa; he was round and jolly and came with gifts! To this day I don't know who the Santa was, but I was so impressed with my mom's sneakiness in making such a grand gesture. Maybe she wanted to make Christmas extra special since it was the first after my parent's divorce. Either way and whatever her reasons were, that Christmas is forever burned in my memory and every time I hear "Here Comes Santa Clause" I think of that Christmas.

So, in honor of my favorite song, I made a Santa Pie for this month's You Want Pies With That? Anne of Anne Strawberry made the best decision when she chose holiday songs as this month's theme. I absolutely loved the theme because it allowed for so much creativity. The pie was supposed to be inspired by your favorite holiday song and it took me about 28.7 seconds to decide on a pie that in some way incorporated Santa's favorite cookie. The filling was easy because I figured if Santa loved chocolate chip cookies he'd had to love all things chocolate too. The pie was a lot of fun and so easy to make. This pie would be perfect for Santa because it would give him a sugar rush that would get him through his millions and billions of stops.

Santa Pie
Source: Me!

1/2 Recipe for chocolate chip cookies (I used this recipe)
Chocolate Mousse
Whipped Cream
Crushed candy cane for decoration

Crust
Butter the bottom of a 7-inch springform pan. Use about half of the cookie dough to cover the bottom of the springform pan. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. (Bottom)

Make small, round cookies with the other half of the dough and bake for about 10 minutes. (Sides)

While the cookies are warm, stick the round cookies into the bottom. Let it cool completely.


Chocolate Mousse
6 oz of bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
1/3 cup heavy cream

Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Set aside and let it cool slightly.

Place the heavy cream in a medium bowl and beat with an electic mixer on medium high until it holds soft peaks.

Slowly fold the melted chocolate into the heavy cream until well blended.

Place in the fridge until ready to use.

Whipped Cream
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar

Combine the cream and sugar in a small bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium high until it holds soft peaks. Place in fridge until ready to use.

Assembly
Once the crust has cooled completely spoon the mousse onto the cookie and spread evenly.


Then, spoon the whipped cream and spready evenly.


Top with crushed candy canes refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.


Enjoy!

All together.


A slice.


The layers


I love chocolate chip cookies!

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

That is a super cute idea. I love the layers of your Santa pie and how it goes with the song! I want a slice!

Megan said...

What a cute pie! I love it! I haven't come up with anything yet.....

Carrie said...

I love the cookie crust. How cute is that (and so appropriate for Santa pie)?! Great job! :-)

Jen H said...

This was by far the cutest idea of all of them. The cookie crust in the Santa pie is so perfect!

Jacque said...

That sounds like something I would LOVE!

Great job, that's a fantastic creation you've got there.

Bungalow Barbara said...

What a cute idea! Love it!