Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Kiss Cookies for Breast Cancer

I didn't participate in TWD this week because neither of us likes biscotti. Biscotti is probably the only cookie on this planet that Alex and I don't like. But don't let that dissuade you from going to TWD and seeing how everyone fared with this week's selection.

I still wanted to bake cookies so I decided to bake Kiss Cookies (I like this name better than the Betty Crocker one) for The Power of Pink Challenge hosted by Jen of Beantown Baker. This is a great event and, although I have not been personally affected by breast cancer, I still support organizations that focus on raising awareness and funding breast cancer research. Maybe it all stems from the lump scare I had with my mom a few years ago or maybe it has something to do with my sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha, or maybe I'm drawn to the pink since pink is my favorite color. Whatever it is, breast cancer has always been something I feel passionate about.



So for this event I thought long and hard about what to bake. At first I thought of M&M cookies but then I saw that Jen had already made some that look amazing so it was back to the drawing board for me. I decided on Kiss Cookies because these cookies are always a huge hit in my house and I could use the pink-foiled Hershey's Kisses. The cookies came out great and were so easy and fun to put together. My absolute favorite part of baking these cookies is sticking the Kiss in the middle. To make the cookies fit the pink theme I rolled them in pink sugar and drizzled them with pink-colored white chocolate.

Thanks Jen for hosting such a great event and I hope to see more pink goodies over the course of the month!

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Candy Cookies
Source: Betty Crocker

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Granulated sugar or colored sugar
About 36 Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat the granulated sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, and egg with an electric mixer on medium speed.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until a dough forms.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated or colored sugar. Place the balls on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately press 1 Hershey's Kiss in the center of each cookie. Remove from the cookie sheet and place on cooling rack.


Baking.


All done up...




Pretty and pink!




The lovely Hershey's Kisses.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

beantown baker said...

Can I stop by and have some? Those look amazing. Sorry I stole your idea of making M&M cookies :( but thanks so much for participating! Hope to see you soon.

Peggy said...

I love your cookies. Sorry you didn't like the biscotti though - I thought they were wonderful.