Friday, September 26, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

I'm Just Not Om.


Maybe I'm just not balanced or maybe my mind, body, and spirit aren't one. I don't know what it is, but I just wasn't feeling OM Restaurant. The restaurant itself is beautiful and made me want to chant om and go on a Mediterranean escapade. The bar area was very active and hip (I feel old saying hip, but I can't think of a better word) and the second floor was romantic and had a great view of Harvard Square. I thought the decor was so appropriate for the name of the restaurant. I was taken by the look of the restaurant. The food, on the other hand, didn't leave as big of an impression on me. Alex enjoyed his meal because he says you can never go wrong with steak.



We didn't order an appetizer because there wasn't anything on the menu that appealed to the both of us (it's a lot of salads or seafood items). So we dove right into our entrees. Alex ordered the Steak Frites. The steak came with parmesan truffle fries. The steak was juicy and tender, but a little on the small side. The fries were crunchy with a hint of parmesan cheese. The fries were topped with a sauce that didn't balance well with the fries because of its lemony flavor.



I ordered the Almond Crusted Halibut. I found the fish to be bland and the almonds over toasted. The one thing I really liked about this dish was the roasted "potatoes." I put that in quotations because I think the potato was actually taro. The only reason I even had this feeling was because we ate a lot of taro when we went to Hawaii two years ago.



For dessert I ordered the chocolate cake. The chocolate cake itself was delicious and very moist. The dessert came with a hazelnut brittle that was so good I had to share with Alex. I was disappointed in the banana ice cream because it didn't taste like it had ripe bananas in it. It tasted like they used bananas that they bought earlier in the day and didn't let ripen.



Alex ordered the creme brulee and, well, he likes creme brulee any way you can make it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this dessert.



Going to OM wasn't a bad experience but it wasn't a great experience. I personally was not wowed by the food but I wouldn't mind going back and enjoying the bar scene.

No comments: