Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Tasty Tools: Best Cookies Ever

Joelen of Joelen's Culinary Adventures hosted another Tasty Tools event this month. The tool for this month was a scooper and once I found out this was the tool I immediately knew I wanted to make cookies. I LOVE cookies. They are my absolute favorite thing to bake. Cookies are like heaven to me, especially chocolate chip cookies. I have an unnatural obsession with chocolate chip cookies; I must make every recipe I encounter. (Note: if you have any good ones, send them my way!). I decided to try out another recipe from Carol Bloom's book "The Essential Baker." As soon as I spotted "Milk Chocolate Chunk-Peanut Butter Cookies" my taste buds went into overdrive. I was salivating just looking at the recipe. I thought the cookies came out great but I wasn't ready for Alex's reaction.

Like I said, I have made many cookies, but these cookies struck Alex in a way that I never thought a cookie could. After one bite, the words "best cookie ever" slipped out of his mouth. He was hooked. I've never seen the man go after cookies like he did with these cookies. I mean, I thought the cookies were good, but I didn't think they deserved the label "best cookie ever."

Joelen, thank you once again for hosting!

Milk Chocolate Chunk-Peanut Bitter Cookies
Source: Carol Bloom's The Essential Baker

3 oz (6 Tbsps) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted natural-style chunky peanut butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 and 1/8 cup granulated sugar
1 extra large egg, at room temperature (1 extra large egg = 1 large egg)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 oz milk chocolate, cut into small chunks (I love chocolate so I added 5 oz)


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick liners
2. Beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes
3. Add the peanut butter to the butter and mix together well. Scrape the sides and bottom of the the bowl with a rubber spatula
4. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar to the butter mixture and cream together
5. Use a fork to lightly beat the egg and vanilla together in a small bowl. Add this to the butter mixture and blend thoroughly
6. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add this to the butter mixture in 4 parts, blending well after each addition. Scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula
7. Add the chocolate chunks and stir to distribute evenly
8. Using a scooper, scoop out mounds about 2 inches in diameter. Place the mounds on the baking sheets, leaving 2 inches of space between cookies
9. Bake the cookies for 5-7 minutes
10. Serve yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!

Scooping the cookie


All ready to be baked


Cooling and waiting to be eaten


Served best with milk :)

3 comments:

AnickH said...

Wow. Those cookies look so good.

AnickH said...

Sorry Im taking over your comment page. This is the last comment I promise. I just have to say that I have that same cookie scoop (the plastic one in your picture). I actually have 3 of them (just in different colors) I love them so much more than the metal ones

Anonymous said...

I found this blog post from a comment on Abby Sweets and figured I had to click over and see what the fuss was about. These look great!