Monday, March 24, 2008

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Onions, onions, and more onions!

One of my New Year's resolution was to incorporate more veggies into our diet. Three months into the year and I've only recently started using veggies. I figured I'd start off with a vegetable that's pretty versatile. The onion has been just the vegetable. I have used it in at least one meal a week (this is huge for us). Last week I used it twice and Alex said, "you're really liking onion, huh?" to which I retorted "I bet your colon doesn't mind." Maybe I should backtrack on that colon comment. During one of Alex's rotation a doctor asked him if he ate any vegetables and he replied that he didn't. The doctor told him that he should eat more vegetables if he wanted to keep his colon healthy. So there are the origins of my colon comment.

Anyway, back to the onions. I made a chicken on a bed of onions that was delicious. The key to this dish is to eat the chicken with the onions because the chicken itself doesn't have much flavor. The onions are very tender and full of flavor. The second dish was a beer cheese soup that was incredible. It was so easy to make and perfect with your favorite bread.

Black Pepper Citrus Chicken
Source: Cooking Light (here)

1 Tbsp canola oil, divided
1 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 tsp salt
4 (6-oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I used 2-8oz chicken breasts)
1 cup vertically sliced onion
2 tsp bottled minced garlic
1/4 cup white wine
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I omitted)

1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp pepper and salt over chicken. Add chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm
2. Add 2 tsp oil to pan. Add onion and garlic to pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add wime and cook 1 minute.
3. Return chicken to pan. Add 3/4 tsp pepper and juices. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is done.
4. Sprinkle with parley.
5. Serve and enjoy!



Beer Cheese Soup
Source: Unknown (I got this recipe from the What's Cooking Board? If this recipe is yours, please let me know so I can credit you properly)

1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp water
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 bottle of beer (I used Bud)
1 can chicken broth
2 cup Half and Half
2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1. Melt butter. Add onion, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the beer and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, return to boil, then lower heat and simmer.
4. Combine cornstarch with the water and blend until smooth. Set aside.
5. Add the half and half and cheese to soup. Stir constantly until cheese melts.
6. Stir in cornstarch mixture.
7. Stir until soup is thick, about 5 minutes.
8. Serve with your favorite bread and enjoy!

No comments: